Friday, May 09, 2008

Claire and friends have a clue...



Claire and her roommates Kelly and Kate, along with friends Beth, Elisa, Molly, and Eloise, had the opening of their senior art show last night.  The poster they made to advertise the show was a re-creation of advertising for the game "Clue." It was perfect. They also had individual portraits of themselves in character. Good poster = lots of show attendees.

The show ranged from wild animal portraits, to large scale self portraits, to jewelry, to stuffed animals, to stuffed corsets, to concept designs for a horror movie, to animated character designs. It warmed our hearts to see so much skill and imagination and camaraderie and creativity and beauty all packed into one room and made me feel like it's a great time to be a young woman today.

Claire and Em with Claire's new business card.



"And over here to my right are some tapirs..."



Claire's pen and ink drawings, fabric designs, and steam-punk corset. She printed the corset fabric herself, complete with rivets and portholes and rust. It looks like a submarine corset. It's an understatement (no pun intended) to say you've never seen anything like it...



Backside of corset.



Older woman looking at Claire's nekkid drawings... Eek!



Em and her Revolutionary War reenactor friend, Will, who is working on his PhD at Brown University.  His field of study, not surprisingly, is "Discipline in the 18th century British Army." 



More drawings and paintings.  I love that Maribou Stork....



Claire and friend Maddy Carr



I just love this photo...



Em and me standing right in front of the "18th Century Subversive Toile" tiles (her description, not mine) that I was hoping would be in the photograph. Arggh.  They're available for purchase on CafePress and when her professor found that out, he left to order some!



Rob and me with Deatheater mask and corset. (Not to be worn at the same time.)

I just realized I have no photos of Hummels all together that evening. Hmmm. Probably should ask Claire to work something up in Photoshop. I don't have a clue...


2 comments:

Gina said...

I wish I could see the show in person -- incredible!! I especially love the 18th century subversive toile -- how do I find that on cafepress? Congrats to Claire on her show and graduation and to Emily on her big news about school -- Yeah! all the best, Gina

Unknown said...

I echo Gina... I wish I could have enjoyed that art show as well! Maybe in Vail we can get a condensed version via computer. Is the subversive toile really on Cafepress?! Send us a link!